Have Chemicals Caused My Man Boobs?
Many modern men now have what used to only occur in pubescent boys or elderly men: namely man boobs. To be otherwise in your prime, but instead look increasingly feminine must be an enormous source of embarrassment for a man.
It may cause you to ask if common chemicals are to blame for the condition. The answer simply put, is yes, perhaps and no. It really comes down to which type of man boobs you have. You weren’t aware there were more than one? Well, yes, there are two main types: gynecomastia and pseudo-gynecomastia.
Gynecomastia is believed to be caused by a hormonal imbalance between testosterone and estrogen, whereas pseudo-gynecomastia is seen in men who are either overweight or obese. If you are unsure which type you have, visit your doctor to find this out.
If you have gynecomastia, then yes there are many chemicals and drugs that could be responsible for the development of your man boobs. Here are some of the more common ones:
- The chemical Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) found in Teflon is one. It is known to be hormone disrupting, so some experts believe it to be a causal factor in the development of man boobs.
- Another chemical with similar hormone disrupting properties is the Bisphenol A (BPA) found in some plastics.
- Long-term use of anabolic steroids is also associated with gynecomastia. Here, some experts believe that the body compensates for the increased level of testosterone by producing more estrogen, while others believe that they suppress the natural level of testosterone.
- Illegal drugs such as marijuana and heroin also are linked to the development of man boobs, as they are known to disrupt a man’s hormonal balance. As is high caffeine and alcohol consumption. Alcohol also disrupts this hormonal balance; while high caffeine intake raises the body’s cortisol levels, which also upsets the hormonal balance.
- Food chemicals also have potential to be a cause of gynecomastia. Some experts believe that phytoestrogens found in a wide range of foods could be a causal factor. This is because this chemical is related to estrogen, the main female sex hormone. The evidence supporting this theory is conflicting, but it is possible that high consumption of foods containing this hormone are to blame. The most commonly known food that contains this chemical is soya beans.
- Hormone filled commercial meat and dairy are another source of chemicals that could be responsible for man boobs development.
- There are a range of chemicals found in processed foods that some experts believe are another possible cause. These include trans fat, artificial sweeteners. Plus as many processed foods are sold in plastics containing BPA, this means there is a double